Sunday, June 5, 2011

Tomato soup with Cashew and coconut Sambal

Well growing up, I had a thing about textures and soups and casseroles, not sure if it was that we had dogs and mum cooked the dog food in a pressure cooker or what but well needless to say I was a fussy child and didn't eat much when it came to soups or casseroles, but as I have grown up I have learnt to enjoy them, as long as I cook them...yep definitely a deeper issue there but we are not going into it...where I was headed with this post was that one of the soups I loved and still do is canned tomato soup....but let me tell you having cooked this little recipe, not sure if I can ever manage to eat tomato soup from a can ever again, this recipe is simple quick and well let's just say delicious, having eaten a bowl for lunch I just new I had to share it with you today!!!


Recipe from Bill Graingers cookbook Bill's Basics

Ingredients
2kg plum tomatoes, halved
1 red capsicum, halved and deseeded
6 garlic cloves, peeled
1 small carrot, diced
60ml olive oil
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
a pinch of dried chilli flakes (optional) (I added it, and it made for a nice warming glow)
250ml (1cup) chicken or vegetable stock
125ml (1/2 cup) coconut milk

to serve cashew and coconut sambal (see below)

MethodPreheat the oven to 200 C. Put the tomatoes, capsicum, garlic and carrot in a large casserole dish, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with the spices and season with sea salt and ground black pepper. cover with a lid or foil and bake for 1 hour. Uncover and bake for a further 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are well cooked.

Transfer the vegetables to a food processor or blender and mix until smooth.

Return the mixture to the casserole dish or a large heavy-based saucepan and add the stock and coconut milk. Stir well and cook over medium heat until warmed through. Ladle into serving bowls and serve topped with a little cashew and coconut sambal.



Cashew and Coconut Sambal
50g (1/3 cup) cashew nuts
50g (1/3 cup) flaked coconut
a large handful of coriander leaves

Put the cashews, coconut, coriander leaves, a pinch of salt and 60ml(1/4 cup) water in a blender or food processor and process until roughly chopped.

I dare you not to enjoy this one, and whats more perfect is the high dose boost of vitamin C and well, on a wet cold winters day, just the colour alone is bound to warm you up and make you feel good...well it did for me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment