Saturday, July 14, 2012

Massaman beef curry with cashews

It's winter and time for some comforting warming meals, to me that means slow cooking the old fashioned way on the stove or in the oven. Whilst away I managed to read the JULY copy of Australian GoodFood, it took some tracking down but I managed to get my hands on a copy it's filled with lots of recipes I want to try.

Here is my version of the Massaman beef curry from page 130.

Ingredients (my altered version)

  • 1tbsp vegetable oil   (olive oil maybe only 2 teaspoons as I use a non stick pan)
  •  650g gravy beef, trimmed and cut into 3cm pieces  (700g chuck steak)
  • 1 brown onion, finely chopped
  • 1/3 cup massaman curry paste   (1/3 Valcon Massaman curry paste in a jar)
  • 1 whole star anise
  • 1 1/2 cups salt reduced beef stock  (my pan is a larger one and I always find that with a bigger cooking surface it tends to need more stock, so I used 2 cups)
  • 500g chat potatoes, halved  (I would quarter then next time as I did need longer in the cooking time on the halves)
  • 400ml can coconut milk  (OK had the skinny evaporated coconut milk - this could be the cause of mine splitting slightly but we liked it)
  • 1 tbsp fish sauce
  • 1/2 cup chopped unsalted cashews, toasted
  • 250g green beans, trimmed
  • 1/2 cup chopped coriander
  • Rice to serve
Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan on high. Cook beef, in batches, for 2-3 minutes, until browned. Transfer to a plate, Add onion and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes, until softened. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.

Return beef to pan, along with any juices. Add star anise and stir to combine. Stir in stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered for 45 minutes.
Add potato, coconut milk and fish sauce to pan and simmer, uncovered for 25 minutes, until potato and beef are tender. Stir in beans and simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes, until beans are bright green and just tender. Remove from heat. Stir in half of cashews and half of coriander.
Serve in bowls with rices and top with remaining coriander and cashews.

No comments:

Post a Comment